Monday, March 18, 2019

The Friendship of Tolkien and Lewis


Hello everyone and Happy Monday! If you are taking the time to read this, thank you for giving me part of your day. 😊 




A few weeks ago, I attended a play. Two of the three actors played the parts of J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but my son was so excited about it and wanted us to go. So, several of us made the trip. 


As I sat in the audience and the play was about to begin, I realized that I should take notes. After all, two actors were about to "become" two famous authors right in front of me. The two older actors (at least they looked older), sat in chairs in front of the audience for most of the play and talked with each other as if they were indeed Tolkien and Lewis having one of their yearly visits. The play is called Lewis&Tolkien/Of Wardrobes and Rings. Maybe one day you will see them on a college campus near you.


One thing that struck me is the amount of knowledge these two men had to have in order to carry this off for an hour...two, I'm not sure, but there was no way my note taking could capture the amount of information these men shared.


The setting: two chairs, a couple of small tables, some food and tea on the tables. A talkative "waitress" came out every now and then. Simple, to say the least. The two main actors were portraying Tolkien and Lewis in their older years, bringing to life their longtime friendship. 



Tolkien and Lewis 

Tolkien and Lewis - Actors

I knew that Tolkien and Lewis had been friends, but I never put much thought into it before this play. They had so many differences as people and writers, but they still had a camaraderie that I think was something special. They corresponded, shared poems, quotes and had deep religious and political discussions. C.S. Lewis is the one who encouraged J.R.R. Tolkien to finish The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit. Tolkien wasn't even a big fan of Lewis' novels, but being able to agree or disagree gave them a freedom of expression in their friendship, that made it even stronger, in my opinion. 


      

                    
   
Tolkien and Lewis were both well educated authors. They were Christians, although Lewis wasn't when they met. It was through a series of discussions, letters and poems with/from Tolkien, that Lewis eventually embraced Christianity and became a believer. The first poem Tolkien sent is called "Mythopoeia". 




The friendship between Tolkien and Lewis remained steadfast until Lewis died November 22, 1963. His death didn't receive the recognition it should have, because it was also the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I am sure, though, that at least one man did not fail to mourn the passing of that great author. 


New York Times Obituary

“God made us: invented us as a man invents an engine. A car is made to run on petrol, and it would not run properly on anything else. Now God designed the human machine to run on Himself. He Himself is the fuel our spirits were designed to burn, or the food our spirits were designed to feed on. There is no other. That is why it is just no good asking God to make us happy in our own way without bothering about religion. God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there.” 

― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Why am I focusing on this friendship of theirs instead of their amazing novels? Because recently I have talked about writers needing interaction with other writers. I talked about going to writers conferences and I have mentioned becoming part of a local group of writers. I started attending a new writers group in October of '18. Usually it's just 4 of us. We share some of the writing we have done, even if it's just a journal entry. We don't write the same way and I'm the only fiction writer in the group. We are all Christians, but have different backgrounds and histories. Even though we are different in many ways, I feel so at home in that group. Maybe because even though we are different, we are similar in many ways, too. The feeling of kinship I get when I am around other writers is inexplicable. Maybe that's the feeling that caused Tolkien and Lewis to form their bond of friendship.



Just as Tolkien and Lewis inspired, encouraged and critiqued each other, we can also, with our own writing friendships. Maybe you aren't a writer. You can still be an encouragement to someone, who can also be an encouragement to you in whatever your life's work. Remember, I'm not only a writer, but a homemaker.  Friendships that encourage me in that area are also important. Making friends has never been my strong suit, though. Believe it or not, I'm a shy introvert. Unless I really feel comfortable in a situation, I will be the quiet one who goes unnoticed. The older I get, the more I'm trying to fight those natural inclinations to hide. I realize more and more how much I need friendships with people that know more than me. Friendships with people that have already learned things I still need to learn. 


Samwise Gamgee, The Fellowship of the Ring

Maybe I'm the only one who came away from that play with this message, but it has made me appreciate more the writing friendships I am forging and those I hope to forge in the future. 

I hope you will think about the friendships you not only have, but need. May God bless you with good friends.



In Christ,


Sandy




No comments:

Post a Comment