Monday, May 13, 2019

My First Novel's Inspirations ~ Part 2

Hello and happy Monday. I'm glad you could stop by for a visit. I hope all you Mother's out there had a special day yesterday. I know I did. I feel so blessed to have the family I have and I am thankful for the extra effort they put into making me feel special on Mother's Day.

Today, I am continuing my series on my novel Hope for Charity and the things that inspired me as I wrote. Last week I talked about the process of choosing a starting point for my story, Husthwaite, North Yorkshire, England. I also talked about why I chose that particular time period. If you missed that post, make sure you click here to see it. 



This week, I want to talk about the season in which my novel takes place, spring. I love springtime. New leaves, flowers, plant life, baby birds and animals beginning life. It's a time of newness, freshness, hope. Especially after a hard winter, springtime can feel like a new start. 

That's what I wanted my book to encapsulate...hope. The title of my novel Hope for Charity, has two meanings. Charity is the name of my main female character, but charity also means love. So the title could mean, Hope for Charity the person or Hope for Charity or Love. I think either way, it's true for my story.

Since I wanted my story to take place in the spring, or more accurately the beginning of spring, I wanted to know what springtime in North Yorkshire looked like. What type of flowers, trees and birds would I see? What would be happening on a farm in the spring? Today, I'll focus on some of the flowers, trees and birds you may see if you were in Charity's world in the springtime.




"English oak is a large deciduous tree up to 20-40m tall. In England, the English oak has assumed the status of a national emblem. As common oaks mature they form a broad and spreading crown with sturdy branches beneath. Their open canopy enables light to penetrate through to the woodland floor, allowing bluebells and primroses to grow below. Their smooth and silvery brown bark becomes rugged and deeply fissured with age. Oak tree growth is particularly rapid in youth but gradually slows at around 120 years. Oaks even shorten with age in order to extend their lifespan." 






"When fully grown, ash trees can reach a height of 35m. Tall and graceful, they often grow together, forming a domed canopy. The bark is pale brown to grey, which fissures as the tree ages. Easily identified in winter by smooth twigs that have distinctively black, velvety leaf buds arranged opposite each other."

Blue Bells




Primrose





The Blue bell and Primose are flowers I chose to put in my novel, because of their beautiful colors and designs. The variety and beauty of the flowers in England in the springtime is something worth seeing. If you love flowers, you may want to do your own search. 

Chaffinch



The pretty little Chaffinch made it into my story. I love birds, so if I'd have had more words to spare, I could have written about many more bird varieties.


There you have it, a taste of spring in the English countryside. Looking at all this beauty and new life, I can't help but have hope. Did Charity feel the same? We'll see...

Look around. You don't have to go to England to see the beauty and hope of spring. God reveals Himself in nature, everywhere. He created it all to reveal His glory to us, to reveal Himself to us. Don't get it backwards, though. Don't worship the creation. Worship the Creator, The Lord God.

May God bless you and your family, as you enjoy Him through His creation this spring.

In Christ,
Sandy

SUBSCRIBEFOLLOW and LIKE 

SHARE this blog post!
COMMENT below! 
and JOIN me next week!! 



Footnotes: Image 1Image 2


2 comments:

  1. You created a pleasant feeling of hope and spring and newness. Looking forward to reading your book, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I can't wait for you to read it either! I think Spring captures the essence of my story.

    ReplyDelete