Monday, June 3, 2019

My First Novel's Inspirations ~ Part 4 ~ Horses

Hello and happy Monday. I played hooky last Monday, so I could celebrate Memorial Day with my family. I hope you also took time to think about those men and women who have given their lives in the cause of freedom. I also want to thank the families of those lost for the sacrifices you've made for our country. I thank God for you and your lost loved ones.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's continue our look into my first novel's inspirations. Today we talk about HORSES! Although I know how to ride a horse, a nice calm well-trained horse 😁 I enjoy watching them just as much. Their beauty, grace and power is really awe-inspiring. 


During the time period of my story (18th century), horses were an important part of everyday life. I wanted to make sure I wrote the right kind of horse into my scenes. Different horses were used for different jobs. Carrying people, pulling wagons, pulling carriages, pulling a plow, etc., whatever the job, I needed to research the horse used during that time period for that particular work. 


My main male character's horse was especially important to me. I wanted him to have a fast, beautiful horse. I started researching famous racehorses back in the 18th century.



The Darley Arabian


"Scientists at Trinity College, Dublin, have found that at least 95 per cent of male thoroughbreds are descendants of the Darley Arabian, which was imported into Britain from Syria in 1706.


The offspring of these three stallions, and of up to 200 other horses imported from Turkey, Syria and Persia about the same time, evolved into the thoroughbred breed - the fastest and most valuable in the world at the heart of the racing industry.
The Darley Arabian was put out to stud privately, and although he did not serve many mares he sired Flying Childers, the first great racehorse, and Bartlet's Childers, the founder of the Eclipse line.

For two centuries it has been assumed that all the imported horses played a role in the development of the breed, but the work at Trinity has singled out the Darley Arabian as the dominant horse." 

To read the whole article, follow this link. When I read about the Darley Arabian siring the first great racehorse Flying Childers, I knew my main male character's horse needed to be a descendant of that horse. So, in honor of Flying Childers, my horse is named: Flying Brave.

Shire 

The Shire horses in my book are being used to pull a delivery wagon, which is just the sort of thing they are bred for. They are lovely, large and strong, but in my story they have paid their dues and should be enjoying their old age out in the pasture grazing, but they aren't. Poor things...

"Shire, draft horse breed native to the middle section of England. The breed descended from the English “great horse,” which carried men in full battle armour that often weighed as much as 400 pounds. Shires were improved as draft and farm animals in the latter part of the 18th century by breeding mares from Holland to English stallions. In 1853 the first Shire was imported to the United States, but the breed never became popular there and was primarily bred to upgrade smaller farm horses.

Shire stallions average slightly more than 17 hands (68 inches, or 173 centimetres) in height and weigh as much as 2,000 pounds (about 900 kilograms). Generally massive and somewhat coarse in build, they are characterized by considerable hair, called feather, on their legs and are usually bay, brown, black, gray, or chestnut. In 1878 the Shire Horse Society was established in England; the American Shire Horse Association was founded in 1885." 

To read more follow this link

Percheron

The Percheron is another large horse, normally used as a draft horse as well, but in my story, this is my villain's riding horse. Although, I hate to make this beautiful horse carry my bad guy around, some poor creature had to do it. He didn't deserve a stallion like my good guy, so he's stuck plodding along on this horse, better suited for pulling a coach.


"Percheron, heavy draft-horse breed that originated in the Perche region of France. The breed probably stems from the Flemish “great horse” of the Middle Ages; modified by Arabian blood to develop a coach-horse type, it was changed again in the 19th century by introduction of draft-type blood to produce animals for heavy farm work. Although a few Percherons were imported earlier, they did not become popular draft animals in the United States until after 1851. Before mechanization revolutionized farming, Percherons were widespread and influenced American agriculture more than any other draft breed.

Percherons average 16 to 17 hands (64 to 68 inches, or 163 to 173 cm) high and weigh 1,900 to 2,100 pounds (860 to 950 kg). The head is fairly small and clean cut, the neck long, and the body well muscled. Common colours are black and gray. Percherons are agile and energetic for their size and display a mild disposition. The Percheron Horse Association of America and its predecessor organizations date from 1902." 

To read more follow this link



Cleveland Bay

The Cleveland Bays in my story have a brief scene, but they are still worth the mention. They have the job of pulling some important characters to an important destination in a carriage. Here is more about them:


"The Cleveland Bay is the oldest breed of horse indigenous to the United Kingdom. It takes its name from the area in which it was bred, which included Cleveland and the North Riding of Yorkshire in northeast England.

For many years, the Cleveland Bay was considered the best and most powerful coach horse. Eventually, with the industrial revolution and a need for speed, the Cleveland Bay fell out of favor and the Yorkshire Coach Horse (a Cleveland Bay/Thoroughbred cross) gained popularity." 


To read more follow this link




Bonus: The Carriage Inspiration



There you have it. I hope you enjoyed learning a little about these horses that have found their way into my story. Just for fun, here is me a few years back with my own horse. She is a Line Back Dunn Quarter Horse named Jessie. 



Thanks for stopping by! May God bless you and your family the rest of the week. Come back soon!

In Christ,
Sandy

SUBSCRIBEFOLLOW and LIKE 
SHARE this blog post!
COMMENT below! 
and JOIN me next week!! 



5 comments:

  1. I am amazed at how much research you have put into writing your book. These horses are wonderful and I know you enjoyed studying each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is how little of what I learn goes into the story. If I put everything I learned in, the book would be as long as "War and Peace" by Tolstoy. 😁

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny in a way, because it's all so interesting! Well, it's knowledge that you can use as you continue to write your novels in the future........

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew your love for horses & animals would be a big part of your story!

    ReplyDelete