Monday, July 22, 2019

My First Novel's Inspirations ~ Part 9 ~ Introduction to Women's Fashions

Hello and welcome to another Monday blog post! I'm so glad you came! If you haven't yet subscribed, what are you waiting for? I'm always happy to have you and you might even enjoy following along on my journey to Authorship and Beyond. If you look over there 👉, you should see a couple of buttons. Just start pressing them and following the instructions and before you know it you should be a part of my tribe. 😄

This week, I'm starting Part 9 of my series "My First Novel's Inspirations", Women's Fashion. This subject is not going to be a one post-er. Today I'm just giving you a taste of what's to come and hopefully next Monday we will start delving in more intensely.


Women's Fashion


In 18th century England, specifically the Georgian Era, the women weren't all that different from us, in that they had their own styles, tastes and financial limitations or not. Some women followed the trends and some women tried to add in their own twists. Personalities ranged from the meek and modest to the gaudy and immodest. 


Styles, especially for the wealthy could be beautiful, tasteful and elegant or absolutely ridiculous, at least in my opinion. Here's some examples:



Lovely 😍
😦
OR...
Plain, but pretty. 👍
What was she thinking?! 🤣

There's nothing wrong with any of the women's choices above, but it definitely takes different types of women to wear them, same with fashion today. There are some clothes I think look great on someone else, but I wouldn't be caught dead in. Other things may seem too uncomfortable, too boring or too loud to me. I'm sure you're the same way. Do you throw on a t-shirt and shorts and call it good or do you do your hair, make-up, jewelry and nice clothes and shoes before you step out of your house? Or, if you're a man, do you do the suit, tie, polished shoes, tie tack...etc.?

I find the study of personalities very interesting. Two that I've studied quite a bit in the last year or so, are the Myers-Briggs and the Enneagram personality tests. I think our personalities show up in just about everything we say and do. That includes how we dress.

I thought it important to take the personalities of my characters into consideration, when I dressed them. I not only wanted to consider their social status, but what a personality like them would have chosen in that time period. 



It's All In The Details

As I was writing my novel, I realized that I really needed to consider the details when describing the clothing of my characters. What type of material would have been used then? Should I mention the layers and layers of undergarments worn? What about accessories, hats, shoes, wig or no wig....you get the point. I can't tell you how many hundreds of pictures I've studied of women in the 18th century. Then on top of that, there are the different classes of people who would have dressed much differently from each other. 😅

**Here's a video you may enjoy watching (G Rated), about getting dressed in the 18th Century. This wouldn't have been the same for women of a lower status, though. There wouldn't have been Lady's maids to help them get dressed everyday. 

As you can see, if I want to examine this subject with you, I'll need to break it into bite size pieces. I hope you'll join me over the next week or two (or three?), as I try to share some of the things that inspired me from the Georgian Era's fashion for women.

Have a great week! Thanks again for coming and come again soon. May God bless you and your family with faith, hope and love.

In Christ,
Sandy

SUBSCRIBEFOLLOW and LIKE 

SHARE this blog post!
COMMENT below! 
and JOIN me next week!! 








3 comments:

  1. I am definitely looking forward to reading your next blogs about the clothing styles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad! I'm looking forward to writing them!

    -Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete