Monday, October 29, 2018

Achieving A Balanced Life

Good Monday Morning!  I hope everyone is ready for another work week.  I am not quite recovered from a full weekend, but that is just the way it goes sometimes.  Monday has come and I'll try to make the most of it.  

If you missed last week's blog post, I hope you will go back and check it out here.  Author Jodie Wolfe honored us, by giving me an interview with her.  I enjoyed the interview and I am happy to say, Jodie and I plan to continue to work together for a while.  We hope to exchange some chapters of our WIP's (work in progress) soon to help each other out.


Today, I plan to talk more about achieving a balance life.  I mentioned this in a past post, but I sort of wanted to give an update on how I have been doing.  Maybe this will even inspire you to start to work toward a balanced life.  This is definitely a WIP for me.  It doesn't happen in a day, a week, a month...I don't think it is something that can be checked off a list.  It has to become an everyday part of life.  So, maybe "Achieving" was not the best word for my title. I guess I could have said: Pursuing a balanced life....or Managing a balanced life....Well, you get the idea.  Whatever you call it, it is hard to do.  In fact, since life is constantly in a state of change, our balance is constantly being thrown...off balance.


First things First-


Reading my Bible everyday and prayer are the first steps to a balanced life.  If I am going to serve the Lord Jesus, my Creator, then I must seek His Will for me each day.  I must read my Bible to know Him and His Will.  I must have a heart of gratitude, reverence and obedience.  God created me for a purpose.  If I am trying to live life without that in mind, then I will be wasting the gift of life He gave me.  We did not create ourselves.  We did not come about by accident.  You will never find fulfillment or joy, if you are trying to live life with no direction, no guidance, no reason or purpose and especially without Jesus Christ. For me, like Jodie, I start the day with prayer.  I ask the Lord to lead me and direct my path.  I can make my plans, but the Lord guides my footsteps.  Some days (not many) go exactly as I planned, but most days, I am thrown one curve ball after another and I have to make adjustments to my plan or ditch it altogether.  When this happens to us, should we give up trying?  No!  We must do our best and make the best out of whatever situation we find ourselves.  Trust the Lord and live for Him and we won't go wrong. https://youtu.be/Jd2DKYKsmm8






Morning Routine-


I have a morning routine I have developed and stick with mostly every day.  I have only had it written down for the last few months and I have added to my list.  I try to check my list every morning as I go through my chores, and mark things off as I get them done.  It helps me remember things my sleepy mind may forget.  My list may look very different from yours, but what matters is if it works for you and your family.  You will see from my picture below, that sometimes I write things in to accommodate jobs that need doing that are not included.  Ooopps- I need to add meal plan for the week and grocery shop. 😣








Zones- #flylady


This was inspired by the FlyLady.  My zones are different from hers and that's ok.  I try to do what works for me.  As you can see from the picture below.  I have made zones of the different areas in my house.  I assign those zones to a day of the week, then on that day, I try to work on that area for a designated amount of time, depending on my day's schedule.  I may choose to clean, declutter, organize or do all of the above in that space, depending on what it needs the most.  





Writing/Editing-


My goal is to make enough progress on the morning routine and zones, that they take less and less time to accomplish each day.  The faster I can get my routines and zones finished, the more time I can spend on my #writing and #editing. If I sit down for hours writing or editing, which I could do without a bit of problem, but haven't taken care of my responsibilities around the house, then life gets off balance.  The other work will build up, take longer to complete the next time and will be a stress inducer for me and everyone else in the house.  Maybe it isn't writing or editing for you.  Maybe it's another type of job or something not work related at all, like: Video Games, Social Media, Reading, Shopping.  You know what it is for you.  None of those things are bad things, in and of themselves, but if you are doing those things to the detriment of other responsibilities, then you are off balance.  When our lives are off balance, we suffer, our relationships suffer, other areas of our lives that need us suffer.


Exercise and Health-


I try to exercise every day.  YouTube has an amazing amount of workouts for every age and fitness level.  Even if you only have 5 minutes or maybe you have an hour to spare, there is a wide variety of choices for you.  Just about any type of exercise you can think of, is available. There are many different trainers, so you can choose the ones who are the most helpful or motivating to you.  Meal planning, healthy eating, recipes...ignorance is really not an excuse anymore.  The internet has so many sites that can help you, YouTube, Pinterest, and many other sites can help you on your way to becoming a healthier you. Want to get out of the house?  Try walking, running, biking or going to a gym.  Even whole grocery stores are dedicated to healthy eating.  There are communities of people who are out there giving and needing support. Will we all look like models? I certainly don't, but I feel better.  I am stronger and healthier than I would be if I weren't trying.  Just do it.  Don't get discouraged. It isn't a race, it isn't a competition.  It is about you being the best you can be.  Just try.  Below are few of the YouTube Channels my husband and I have gone to over the last several years to help us on our fitness journey.











Beginner or Advanced, each woman is doing something beneficial for their health.

Choices:



We all make choices everyday.  What do we wear?  What do we eat?  What do we do? If we want good outcomes, we have to choose correctly.

Family-

Making time for my family everyday is essential.  I am better at that in some ways than others.  My family makes Messenger Chat groups to try to keep up with each other's lives.  It is so easy to get busy and starve those relationships, especially with the family members we don't see everyday.  Is that a struggle for you, too?  Whatever way we have to make it happen, we need to try.  Some ways I try to manage this:  Working on our Hobby Farm with my husband.  Talking to my youngest son about his life, while driving him to his various extracurricular activities.  Talking with my oldest daughter, while we watch my grandkids play.  Taking trips to visit my other children and grandson, even if it's just for a few hours, babysitting my grandkids, calling relatives in other states or texting.  I'm much better with the texting and even then, I wait way too long between messages.  You get the idea, though.  Are you making a concerted effort to connect with your family members?  



Friendships-


As an introvert, this is not my strong suit. I just want to mention a few things, though.  Find people who have like interests. Find people who will help you be your best, not your worst.  One thing I have recently done, is join with a lady that is starting to host a Writer's group in her home, once a month.  I plan to attend these meetings for the fellowship with other like minded women.  I hope some true friendships will grow from this.  If you are like me and have struggled with this whole friendship thing, maybe it's because you aren't looking in the right places.  I think that has been true for me.  Trying to be friends with extroverted people who like to do things I don't intend on participating in, will not work for me, it never has.  Maybe we just need to zoom in a little closer, to find people more relatable to us.




Errands, Church, Dr. Appts., .....the list seems endless, if we can get to work on getting our lives balanced, even these things can be accomplished, maybe even enjoyed, without disrupting our whole day.



Nighttime Routine- #clutterbug


Before I go to bed,  I have a list of things I try to accomplish or at least work on.  I have found that the more on this list I get done before bed, the better my mornings go.  Am I just too sleepy or exhausted some nights, yes, but even on my most exhausted nights, I try to do at least a couple things on my list.






Wow, so much for my plan to have a short post.  When it comes to writing, I tend to get wordy.  Maybe I should Vlog instead, then I could keep it really short...


Well, if you can find a way to improve in each of these areas, you will be on your way to a balanced (sort of) life.  I probably even forgot some things.  Comment if you can think of some other areas we need to make time for in our lives.  Keep it clean, please.  Just because you think it, doesn't mean you have to say (write) it.  


May God bless you and your family, as you try to find ways to "achieve" balance in your lives.


In Christ,


Sandy








2 comments:

  1. This is good Sandy. It does take purpose, discipline, order, structure, and determination to live a balanced life through Jesus Christ. So thankful He is there for us and will be our strength and guide. After our salvation, which He does all on His own without any merit on our part, we are then sanctified as we daily walk with Him and grow in His Grace :)

    ReplyDelete