Monday, January 28, 2019

Learning to do a Book Review

Happy Monday! I'm back and ready to go. If you are new to my blog, welcome! If you are coming back for more, welcome back! I am so glad y'all came to join my Homemaker/Writer life. I started this blog almost a year ago. So much has happened since then in my personal life and my writing life.  I hope to start my quarterly newsletter next month, a year from when I started my whole "public" life, to share more of my personal journey and what's going on in my writing life. If you would like to receive my newsletter, please go over to my website, hit subscribe and when my newsletter goes up, you will be able to receive it via email.


If you have visited my website recently, then maybe you have seen that I plan to do my first Read and Review book review in February.  I am certainly not a professional book reviewer. I am not a professional editor, formatter, publisher, etc. I am only doing this for the fun of it and thought I would share the experience with you. It will be even more fun, if some of you join me. This is the book I plan to Read and Review:



You can purchase it here, if you don't have it already.

*I receive nothing whether you do or do not purchase this book. I don't personally know Becky Wade although I wouldn't mind meeting the Christy Award Book of the Year winner for 2018. 😀

As I was researching how I should go about doing a book review, I looked up book review templates. Most of what I found, though, were geared toward grade schoolers doing book reports.  I don't want to do a book report. Many of the questions seemed to be asked in order to make sure the kids actually read the books. 😄 If I dislike this book so much I don't want to read the whole thing, I'll just tell you. I don't think I will have that problem, though. There is no grade here. No teacher going to fuss at me. I don't want to give the story away either, so I will try not to give any spoilers.

What I did find useful, in my research is that three areas are usually covered in a review: content, style and merit. So, I tried to find information to help me be able to review each of those areas of the book. 

(Definitions were found in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary: *I included the parts of the definitions that I felt suited our purposes here.)

content: noun  con·​tent | \ Ëˆkän-ËŒtent  \

Definition of content

1a: something contained —usually used in plural the jar's contents the drawer's contents
b: the topics or matter treated in a written worktable of contents
c: the principal substance (such as written matter, illustrations, or music) offered by a website… Internet users have evolved an ethos of free content in the Internet.— Ben Gerson

2a: SUBSTANCE, GIST
b: MEANING, SIGNIFICANCE
c: the events, physical detail, and information in a work of art— compare FORM sense 10c The film was rated R for its violent content.

3a: the matter dealt with in a field of study… the content of sociology is inexhaustible …— Franklin H. Giddings
b: a part, element, or complex of parts

4: the amount of specified material contained : PROPORTION the sulfur content in coal


This particular section seems like it may be the most challenging one in which not to give spoilers. Commenting on the content, without giving content...hmmm, I'll do my best.



style: noun \ ËˆstÄ«(-É™)l  \

Definition of style

 1: DESIGNATIONTITLE

2a: a distinctive manner of expression (as in writing or speech)writes with more attention to style than to content the flowery style of 18th century prose

I'm not sure if this definition helps me much. According to The 6 Elements of Fiction by Ruthanne Reid:

 "Style is awesome. Style is needed. Style is the thing that makes your work stand out from everybody else’s, because in essence, it’s your “voice.”

You develop style by working on technique. Your syntax, word choices, and tone all contribute to this. Your style can demonstrate not only your voice as a writer, but is crucial to indicating details about your story and characters. Style shows accent and dialect, character intelligence and observation; it shows the underlying humor or drama of your piece. Your style is your unique flavor, and developing it will not only take your entire writing career, but is also one of the most rewarding activities as a writer." 

This is more understandable to me, but this still does not sound like it will be easy. I am gaining new respect for reviewers. Hopefully, I will get the hang of this and after I get a few book reviews under my belt, it will come more naturally to me.


merit: noun mer·​it | \ Ëˆmer-É™t,  Ëˆme-rÉ™t\

Definition of merit

1a obsolete : reward or punishment due
b: the qualities or actions that constitute the basis of one's deserts Opinions of his merit vary.
c: a praiseworthy quality : VIRTUE but originality, as it is one of the highest, is also one of the rarest, of merits— E. A. Poe
d: character or conduct deserving reward, honor, or esteem also : ACHIEVEMENT composed a number of works of merit— H. E. Starr

This one seems pretty straight forward, but I think that as an amateur book reviewer, this will basically be me giving my unprofessional opinion, which is worth, well, nothing really. It still sounds fun to give it a try and I hope you will, too.

If you want to read some reviews from more experienced book reviewers, here is an article about where you can go.  

I mentioned earlier that I looked up book review templates. I didn't find what I wanted so I made my own. You are welcome to copy mine or find your own, if you are going to join me and do this book review. I would love to hear from you, if you are planning to do this with me. I would also love to read your review, so you are welcome to email your results to me at sandykayslawsonWriter@gmail.com. We start in February, so if you are going to do this with me, make sure to get your book soon. 


Book Review

Reviewer:                                                              
Date:
Title: 
Author:
Genre:

Content: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Style:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Merit:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Would I seek out more of this author’s books?
Do I recommend this book?
How many stars do I give this book?   ✩✩✩✩✩

My template is basic. If you want to do one more in depth, go for it. Remember, it's just for fun, there are no real rules here. I hope to make this a regular thing. So, if you have books you feel would be good for my Read and Review (soon to be on my website), please comment below and submit your ideas. Don't forget to subscribe here and at my website. 

May God bless you and your family.

In Christ, 
Sandy


1 comment: