Monday, February 4, 2019

Qualities of a Great Writer

Hello, I hope your Monday is off to a great start. So far I am doing good and ready for today's post. The title for my blog was going to be The Write Stuff, but Author Max Lucado beat me to it, in an article I plan to reference today. "Great minds..." and all that. 😉



Anyway, Qualities of a Great Writer fits, too, because I do want to talk about the qualities of a great writer. I found several articles about this subject and really, if I had the time, I could probably find a hundred more easily, but even though this isn't a new subject, it is important enough for us to be reminded again. 

Not long ago, I heard a podcast host make the comment, "Everybody is an author." My immediate reaction was, "No, they aren't." Of course, I was right, but I'm sure she was just exaggerating to be humorous. Her comment did stick in my mind though, so I began to notice the monumental amount of books, authors, writers, magazines, articles...etc., etc...just about everywhere I went. Everyone may not be an author, but there are more than I can count. If you are a writer, why do you write? Do you want to be the best writer you can possibly be? Then come along and let's learn together.


Why do I write? I write for several reasons. I feel it is my calling. I feel that it is one of the reasons God created me, so I feel that He compels me to do it, by giving me a passion for it. I have stories, poems, ideas...whatever, that stay in my mind until I get them on "paper" or until I get them on paper and then perfect them as much as I am able. I love to write. It brings me joy. I love to read, but writing is so fulfilling to me that I can even put aside a great book and choose writing instead.


Interesting thought, but not really.

To be a great writer, I believe you must have a God-given gift for it, but for every gift we are given, we also have lessons to learn in order to use that gift to its fullest potential. Let's look at 10 of the qualities mentioned in the articles I read that I think may be good places to start in the process of going from an average writer to a great writer.






  1. Attention to Detail
  2. Discipline
  3. Passion for Reading
  4. Plunge Yourself into Your Writing
  5. Creativity
  6. Perseverance
  7. A Love of Writing
  8. Assess Your Strengths and Weaknesses as a Writer
  9. Go to Writer's Conferences and/or join a Writer's group
  10. Study 
Articles Referenced: Article 1, Article 2, Article 3, Article 4


These are all great tips and pretty self-explanatory. One way I personally use to understand something better, is to try to find the opposite of that word or phrase. I don't know why, but it seems to bring me more clarification. For instance, years ago, I was studying the Fruit of the Spirit in the Bible (Galatians 5:22-23 "22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."). In order to understand this better, I tried to think of the opposite for each one. For example: Love-Hate, Joy-Depression, Peace-Anxiety, etc., you get the idea. So, that's what I did with these 10 tips. I tried to understand them better, by thinking of what I would consider the opposites. Here is what I came up with:


  1. Vague
  2. Disorganization
  3. Apathetic about Reading
  4. Multitasking While Writing
  5. Copycat
  6. Quitter
  7. Writing is a Chore
  8. Unwilling to Change or Grow
  9. The Hermit Writer: Unwilling or Afraid to Learn from Other Writers
  10. Stagnant
My opposite list could certainly be improved, so I would love to hear if you have ideas for better opposites for our qualities list. Also, if you have another quality you would like to share, please comment below. 

When I look at the list of opposites, it makes me want more than ever, to change, grow and become the best writer I can be. How about you? When you look at the qualities and then the opposites, do the lists give you different feelings as you read them? I can better see areas that I really need to work on. 


The two that stand out most as areas where I need to work are: discipline and plunge yourself into your writing. If you have read very many of my blogs, you know I am trying to find balance in my life. These are two of the things that suffer, when I am off balance. Hopefully, I am getting closer to where I want to be, but it is definitely a work in progress. 


Are any of you working towards a more balanced life? What areas are you struggling with as a writer? Don't try to make this journey by yourself. The ACFW Writer's Conference I attended last year and the Writer's groups I am part of have been invaluable to me as a writer. I am so thankful for all I have learned from the writers and authors who are ahead of me on this journey. Take a little time to research writer's conferences or writer's groups in your area, you may find one that is perfect for you.


Well, I hope this gave you some food for thought today. Whether you are a blog writer, poet or you write for a research journal, look at these lists to gain some insight into how you are doing. May God bless you and your family this week.


(SOURCE: BODYLITERATE.ORG)

In Christ,


Sandy


If you are doing the Read and Review with me for the book, True to You by Becky Wade this month, comment below. I would love to know who is joining in on the fun. Check out last week's blog post, if you want to find out more.

4 comments:

  1. Encouraging post, Sandy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great message for all writers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I agree. Anything that helps us improve, is a good thing. As I researched for this post, I found the information very motivating. :)

    ReplyDelete