Monday, June 25, 2018

Dedicated To The One I Love


Yesterday, I celebrated my 29th Anniversary with my husband Carlos.  To honor him and our marriage, I am dedicating this post to him.  Today, I plan to share my poem to him from last year's Anniversary (no, I do not write him a poem every year).  Then, I plan to share this year's poem.  I made sure he heard them first, of course.  Also, I plan to share a poem he wrote me (one of many...I bet you didn't know he was a romantic!).  I hope you enjoy getting a glimpse of our love for each other, as we celebrate God's blessings in our lives together.

Last year's poem:








This year's poem:




This is the little bear, where I keep Carlos' poems he's written me.   The heart holds them and I love to take them out every now and then and re-read them.




The view is from my parents back porch, on the bayou, in the Gulf of Mississippi.



Carlos' poem to me:




I want to leave you with a few thoughts.  If you are thinking of getting married, recently married or struggling in a marriage, it may seem from our poems and pictures, that we lead a fairy tale life, but we have had our struggles just like anyone else.  I must give the Lord God all credit for our enduring love and the joy we still have in our marriage.  If we had not had the foundation in our home, built on faith in the Lord Jesus and His Word, we would not have made it this far.  No matter how hard things get, tomorrow is a new day and God's mercies are new every morning.  Show your spouse mercy, too, every day.  Don't hold on to bitterness and anger.  Let it go. Forgive, forgive, forgive...I can't say it enough FORGIVE!  We live in a fallen world and we are all imperfect, sinful people in need of God's Grace.


Learn to love your husbands and wives, faults and all.  You cannot change them.  Only the Holy Spirit, through the redemption through Jesus Christ has that power.  Pray for them.  Love them in spite of their faults, just as you want them to love you in spite of yours.  If you stick it out, you will find that life comes in highs and lows like waves on the sea.  When the lows come, cling to each other and pray.  Read your Bible together and seek the Lord.  When the highs come, enjoy them with each other and praise the Lord together.  There is no greener grass on the other side.  This person you are married to, is not perfect, but they are yours.  Love and be loved for who you are, not for some unrealistic ideal you have created in your mind.  Do Carlos and I always do these things, I wish I could say yes, but we have to learn things the hard way sometimes.  I think though, that we are learning and I hope you are willing to learn, too.


In Christ,


Sandy Kay Slawson



1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written! Thank you for sharing the poems too!

    Just one more suggestion--when you forgive then forget it and don't ever bring it up again.....otherwise you haven't truly forgiven!

    ReplyDelete